What are Americans saying with all these donations?
(CNN) — George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer accused of wrongly killing Trayvon Martin, will not immediately have to turn over donations to his website, a Florida judge said Friday.
Zimmerman collected about $204,000 in donations through the website, but did not disclose the contributions during his bond hearing last week, according to Zimmerman’s attorney, Mark O’Mara.
Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda asked Judge Kenneth Lester Jr. to increase Zimmerman’s $150,000 bond. But the judge said he would delay ruling on the request, in part because he does not know if he has the authority to do so.
Lester said he is also concerned about revealing the names of donors.
“I’m not going to make a snap decision,” Lester said.
Zimmerman’s family testified last week at his bond hearing that they did not have the kind of resources that would have been necessary to meet the prosecution’s suggested $1 million bond.
Zimmerman, 28, was released Monday on $150,000 bail, 10% of which his family put up to secure his release while he awaits trial on a second-degree murder charge in Martin’s February 26 death.
Although Zimmerman spent some of the contributions on living expenses, about $150,000 remains, O’Mara said Friday. O’Mara said he has put the money into a trust he controls until a final decision is made about its use.
O’Mara said he learned about the money on Wednesday and he and Zimmerman were trying to shut down Zimmerman’s website, Facebook page and Twitter account to avoid concerns about possible impersonators and other problems.
So there is this big scandal over George’s money; he’s not allowed to have it, it has to be put in a trust until the Judge decides what to do about it.
George is supposed to be hated!
There wasn’t such a fuss over the Jena 6 donations: