late summer/fall apprenticeships

NOW is a great time to apprentice on a farm in Maine! Learn practical skills, and toughen yourself up physically and spiritually. Farm work makes you spiritually stronger; it gives you GEIST.

the irresistible fleet of bicycles

If you’ve been reading our blog all summer and dreaming of getting  your hands in the soil, consider applying to MOFGA’s apprenticeship program.

P1040585

NOW is a great time to apprentice on a farm in Maine. Many of the farms participating in MOFGA’s Apprenticeship Program are looking for fun, hard-working and energetic crew members for the months of August, September and October. With an increase in the number of fall CSAs and winter markets Maine farmers are extending their seasons and are able to offer longer season apprenticeships.  The MOFGA Apprenticeship program is an excellent way to learn by doing. Farms in the program include vegetable, livestock and dairy operations and range in scale from homestead and farmstead production to market gardens and commercial operations- so what ever interests you have- there is an apprentice situation for you. The program includes weekly Farm Training Projects that run through mid-September. These topic…

View original post 42 more words

11 Responses to late summer/fall apprenticeships

1. RobRoySimmons says:

Would these people throw an anti-white hissy fit if they knew you posted it here?

2. Peak Finance says:

Now, I know there is going to be a collapse and I know it’s going to be bad, but, I don’t think we are going back to horse-pulled plows 🙂

There will pretty much always be diesel.

If anything, be concerned about getting replacements for those pvc irrigation pipes. Those need to be replaced every few seasons from sun damage.

Yes but it might not be available to us.

You have a cornucopian mindset. The cornucopia may go away, and we’ll need to wring every calorie out of hte land that we can. And those who do wring these calories out survive; the rest do not.

• Peak Finance says:

Well, I am not really sure about that. Diesel is REALLY easy to make. The feedstocks for it are readily available. Take your feedstock, filter, let stand to remove the water, and you can use it just like this, or, you take it to the next step and make “real” bio-diesel by mixing it with the heads from a still (for the methanol, and the heads are typically thrown-out anyway), cook it a little , and you are good to go!

Yes, It’s really that easy, no refineries or anything of the sort required. The most efficient bio-diesel feedstock, Chinese popcorn tree, grows down here in the Glades like a weed. Plus how many gallons of bio-diesel do you think you can get from a 200 pound hog? A lot I imagine, but I haven’t tried this yet!

So yea I think the tractors keep running. Even small-scale ag like we talk about on this site all the time can manage to make enough of their own fuel to run the tractors at least.

Ethanol is another small-scale fuel we may always have access to, but, it’s not nearly as efficient as diesel so I think it’s better to drink it instead!

3. Tom Bowie says:

When this fellow and I were kids this was the thing for the home garden. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhbIw5340vo There was even a version with a single straight handle forward without a wheel that was used much like a rake.

Much of the old time stuff they still make them but not quite as sturdy. https://www.lehmans.com/p-2272-high-wheel-cultivator.aspx You can even get the special blades/attachments.

As for fuel; several years ago I did a bit of research on Gasifier (also called Producer engines and several other names) engines and found almost nothing on the subject; now there’s a wealth of information.

I’m not mechanically inclined but basically it burns wood, dry dung, coal or, anything combustible; cools the smoke down and uses a normal engine that’s been modified to run on the smoke/fumes/gases. http://www.uswoodpower.com/gasifiers/ New or rather, old knowledge is making a comeback. (I’ll let the more mechanically inclined do the real research into the topic.)

I’ve often heard people talk about what items would have barter value in hard times but, I believe physical items can not compare to the knowledge and ability of a tradable skill.

• Peak Finance says:

You know, I was thinking of getting a new manual push mower, with the rotary blades like the old days, but I didn’t want to spend the money only to have it not work down here (Yes, in Florida grass cuts you!) Anyone know about these and have experience with them?

Also, be careful with the information you get on alternate fuels on the internet. The bio-diesel sites, for example, assume you are going to have a “chemical-mart” down the street to buy stuff like Methanol, Dry-Enthanol, etc, when you should be planning on not having access to any of these chemicals at all and should plan on making this stuff yourself. The best-grade bio-diesel requires the use of lye, (which also allows you to make soap from the bio-diesel by products of the reaction), but where the heck does that come from?

I think that wood-power gasifier stuff can make Methanol too, but not sure about that.

PF,

The way I’m planning it is for temporary but long shortages/unavailability of fossil fuels. As the Latter Days come into their fullness, billions will die. then civilization will restart and some fossil fuels will be available again for trade.

Billions will die! We will win!

• Tom Bowie says:

I used one of the manual push mowers as a kid and we had a rather large lawn but the grass was not all that tough. I did however have to cut the grass back along the edges of several paths that tended to grow rather tough weeds and sticker-bushes/vines and it’d handle them as well but, I had to make sure I kept the blades fairly sharp or it’d be a hard chore. Every so often I’d let the something get a bit too tall and have to cut it the hard way with a weed sling.

Yes the Gasifier can make Methanol from what I understand. They can be used in quite a few different ways.

When I was a boy there was a friend of my Grandfather’s with a house built shortly after WWII. I recall that there was a fireplace insert in the living room and there was a way that the smoke/gasses were captured and stored in a tank for use on the gas stove in the kitchen; essentially using the wood twice. There was a narrow little room between the living room and the kitchen where the tanks were; I don’t know any of the details as I mainly remember it because when the smoke/gasses were being used or captured, the chimney produced no smoke and there was a bar/handle that pushed/pulled to switch from storage/use to chimney and; well you could make smoke signals with it. (Of course I mainly remember it because it was a cool plaything but, I don’t recall it having anything other than simple hand operated parts.) I also occurs to me that somebody could possibly find a way to use the excess heat to make energy or hot water for radiators as well.

I’ll not be attempting to do anything beyond hand power as I’m not mechanically inclined. I’ll leave that to others and contribute the skills I do have.

4. Talked to someone from Maine today. He was quite surprised by the number of blacks in my town. I nudged it out of him, that very few blacks live up that away; my guess is that the numbers are even lower in rural areas. Nice synchronicity that.