Have lentil beans on hand to plant in case of SHTF

Lentil beans are a staple crop and meat substitute in the event you cannot get meat. They are a historic staple crop. I have a couple of books just on the paleo-anthropology of lentil beans, both cultivation and preparation. Ancient man would eat the beans and feed the rest of the plant (the stem, roots) to their livestock animals.

Lentils will make your garden a complete caveman survival garden.

21 Responses to Have lentil beans on hand to plant in case of SHTF

1. Craig says:

I love beans the more you eat…and you can have’em all year in warm climates.

Cow pea and mung bean grow well in arid to subtropical climates.

So many to choose from I have 2 sweet pea, 3 pea, 7 bean cultivars.

• Mosin Nagant says:

Fava beans and yardlong beans do not require any pesticides. However favas must be planted by the last week of February, here, so they begin bearing before the summer heat arrives. Yardlong beans, which are related to cowpeas and can be used green or dry, do best in the HOTTEST weather. We also grow a few peanuts every year from transplants, no sprays needed. However common snap and shell beans and lima beans DO require pest control, for Mexican beetles, leaf beetle, weevils, etc. “Doctor Martin” pole limas are the best of all beans!

thanks Mosin! I will save this info.

February? I’d have to dig out the snow to plant. What if I started them as seedlings in February?

• Mosin Nagant says:

Yes, MW, favas can be started in a greenhouse and transplanted, to mature before the hot weather arrives.

2. Thanks MW. I also read something at one of the sites recommended by Ryu about Maize being a pretty good subsistence food.

3. pluto the dog says:

This is from the archives – we can use this again like we used it in 69 – with some refined thinking looking for a different result

4. hanz says:

Another good one to have in your garden are Sunchokes. Very easy to grow, nutritious, and prolific. Once you plant them they are there. Just leave them in the ground and dig them as needed, no processing. They come back every year as long as you don’t dig them all. The only problem is that they are invasive unless you keep them thinned.

5. Tom Bowie says:

Beans generally don’t like their root system disturbed or they tend to die. I’ve done it but I have about 1/4 loss of seedlings. At least as far as the varieties I’ve tried and I can tell a transplanted bean plant from one started by seed; the lower stem is slightly thicker, gnarled and brown, looking a bit like a miniature tree trunk. I’ve not had a problem with it but I’ve been told that some varieties will not produce as well if transplanted. I’ve also been told degradable cups eliminate most of the problems with transplanting beans.

I did a little experiment with Squash this year as they have a somewhat lesser version of the same problem with easily disturbed root systems. I used a few 2 1/2 inch plastic pipes (Water pipe) cut to about 4 1/2 inches or so long to start some plants early. I cut a few small notches in what would be the bottom of the pipes for good drainage and to water them from the bottom up, then sanded the bottom edge very smooth (the inside is already smooth) with a slight bevel. I arranged them on a plastic cafeteria tray and filled them with soil. (I made sure the soil I used wasn’t a mix that would crumble easily. (Alternately I thought about lining the inside of the pipe with paper to help somewhat.) After hardening off the tray of young plants and letting the soil dry just enough that it’d stay together better; I slipped a metal spatula I had bent a bit more than normal (almost into a L shape) under the pipes to lift them off the tray for transplanting and after slipping the spatula from under, gently pushed the contents out into their new home in my garden. I found that I had to make a slightly larger hole to slip the spatula out from under the pipe but that wasn’t much of a problem. (Planting in pipes however that spatula trick will not work on my beans.)

6. Tom Bowie says:

I’ve researched a bit and I don’t have the conditions for Sun-Chokes, Lentil Beans or Yard Long Beans as much as I’d like to give these a try. I believe some variety of Peas will be about the best overall choice along this line for next year in my area. I recall that they were once referred to as “The poor man’s meat” due to their high protein content.

Something I’m itching to try are “Purple Potatoes”, with at least some in Mindweapon’s “Cardboard Box Henley Towers”. When I began the research into Purple Potatoes I found much of it was contradictory and confusing, but it seems there are so many varieties with differing characteristics and requirements they weren’t talking about the same thing. The variety of types/characteristics and requirements are rather large. It’ll take quite a bit of research to find not only what’s available but what I want; some demand short light/days, others grow even in areas with occasional snow during growing season or, with quite a few other conditions and/or requirements.

7. Mr. Rational says:

One little vignette in “The Grapes of Wrath” is of a starving Okie being warned away from a tiny piece of ground where he was attempting to grow a few potatoes, sneaking in to water and weed them.

The problem with growing anything is that it’s stuck in the ground, and it can be taken away from you by taking YOU away from IT.  You can’t feed yourself if you can’t stay on your land.

Mr. Rational,

You have to stop thinking in the 19th and 20th century. It’s about skills now. Somene is going to conrtrol land somewhere and not be able to make full use of it. You can find this person and use their land for them. You could call it share cropping or serfdom, but it need not be an unjust relationship. You will be more like an IT professional than a share cropper.

• Mr. Rational says:

That’s no help if your enemies control the land.  They may be more than happy to sacrifice yield and profit if it helps to destroy you.

Control, including ownership, is paramount.

Mr. Rational,

You are missing the point of this whole web site. A mindweaponized horticulture technician doesn’t fight enemies directly. He applies to work for them, infiltrates them, makes friends with the enemy’s family and workers and the enemy head honcho himself. Maybe the enemy is an investment banker. Maybe the horticulture technician puts a USB keyboard capture device between the keyboard and the USB port of honcho’s computer and then hacks into investment bankers accounts and puts 10 gazillion dollars or renminbi or globos into an untraceable bahamian account.

Mindweaponism is a wholly new thing, at least for us YT’s. You don’t fight people directly. You make yourself useful — incredibly useful! So useful and so friendly and nice and goooooood! that they take you in and make you a trustee, and then . . . whoops.

that’s why the emphasis on STEM and charm school and foreign languages.

hell, we might not even have to kill or steal; we might just convince the head honcho’s kids to go for a pro-white agenda! it’s that (potentially) easy.

don’t think in terms of fighting directly. that’s 1.0, that’s fighting the last war, and there’s billions of 1.0 fighters. we are the elite, we are 2.0 we are the espionage model, the mindweaponized model. the objection is that wee will join the enemy and enjoy a cushy life. that’s a chance we have to take. sure some people will enjoy hte life and turn on us (passively) but some will do major damage.

there’s a much better ROI on cultivating infiltrators and spies rather than soldiers.

• Mr. Rational says:

Being likeable and useful won’t help if the PTB go with genocide in the short term.  There were lots of useful and probably likeable Jews who wound up in Nazi gas chambers.  Forestalling that outcome requires resistance (mainly armed resistance), which isn’t terribly compatible with appearing non-threatening and useful to have around.

Yes, agricultural consultants are probably going to do well, but if merely staying alive in the face of e.g. regular pogroms becomes an issue, doing business may not be practical.

Mr. Rational,

You believe in homicidal Nazi gas chambers? LOL.

• Mr. Rational says:

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here.  There’s are simple and obvious explanations for the details that the video maker finds questionable:  women have a greater body fat content than men, and the anaerobic decomposition of flesh emits gases which include methane.  Using that methane to burn off other products of decomposition (like butyric acid) is something you’d expect nauseated workers to do if they could.

I suppose there’s a common thread here:  despite the Armenian genocide just years before, and the references to it in AH’s writings, nobody believed it could happen to them… so when it happened, they found it unbelievable.