2013 Garden and fruit trees

Asian pears. I have 3 trees and each produces a couple hundred pounds of pears. No fungal diseases, can be protected from insects by spraying a kaolin clay solution on it.

IMG-20130803-00436

Santa Rosa plums. I had fungal diseases on the first ones, but for some reason the later ones came through OK. They start green, turn red, then purple. Purple ones are ripe. There would have been a hundred pounds of plums or so per tree had I not lost a large percentage (but not all!) to fungal brown rot. In a more dry climate, the fungal disease would not be nearly as much of a problem, so long as you can water it at the roots. The fungal diseases are from the moisture in the air and frequent rainfall (which is good in other ways).

So if you can find a way to get water, farming in the desert has it’s advantages. If you are in a moist place, you need to grow stuff that is resistant to fungal diseases. The Irish potato famine was a fungus, phytopthora.

IMG-20130803-00437

String beans growing next to potatoes. Not much problem with string beans. String beans, the bush and half runners, grow well crowded together, in a row 2 feet wide. I actually like bush and half runners better than pole beans. they produce very well this way.

IMG-20130803-00438

These are my henley cardboard potato towers posted again. Harvest time will also be posted.

plants_in_boxes

potato_boxes_3

potato_boxes_2

24 Responses to 2013 Garden and fruit trees

1. When I was a kid in North Hollywood our house was built on an old garbage dump and the soil was real fertile. We had several fruit trees, we grew vegetables and corn. My great grandfather next door grew grapes and figs. Once I buried a potato out there and for years there were potatoes growing all over the place. Never had problems with pests, except tomato worms. When we grew corn the mexicans kept jumping the fence and stealing ears.
    Our only problems were tomato worms and mexicans.

Haha, great story! Do you tink the garbage dump made the soil fertile? Or the fill they put over the dump was fertile? Sounds like a magical childhood, aside from the corn stealing Mexicans! That sort of low level violation of personal space and proeprty rights is what makes for Whites who know the difference between their own people and the non-white hordes.

• Yeah, that’s why darkies are all natural born communists. If you have something they want they will try and force you to ‘share’.
        As far as ‘fill’, I don’t think they bothered with that. I remember finding old bottles and junk when I would dig around back there.

• Tom Bowie says:

I must admit the Web-Site is somewhat addictive. Not only the wonderful articles and links but the gardening from a Pro-White perspective as well.

When I was a young fellow on the farm, we had a trash pile in the woods. We’d toss our trash on one end of the pile to about 5 or 6 feet high. The trash pile had been there for a long, long time and the older parts had developed it’s own ecosystem including some kind of Moss growing in the bottles and cans where rain water and condensation collected.

It’s pure speculation that this has anything to do with it but, from the experience I’ve had with Moss Like things, they enrich the soil. There would have been many years of growth in an uncovered dump and even when covered as bigger plants took hold, the mini-ecosystem would extend into the pile a bit. It does take a long time for moss to breakdown however. I attempted to research the topic but I mostly found information an a specific type of moss: Spanish Moss. The only thing beyond speculation is a bit of experience with something only somewhat related.

At one time I was a commercial Waterman and I operated a Shed Box for Soft Shell Crabs. The Shed Box was actually several boxes/tanks and one of them was a filter box/tank that was filled with gravel and/or oyster shells that grew something like long Moss(?) to help clean the water. (The water was never replaced, only added to as it evaporated.) To start the growth I filled a Glass Jar about half full of the water from the Shed Box and added a bit of Soil, then gave it a food shake. In about 10 days or so the water would have a green color with the growing Moss(?) and I dumped the jar into the end Shed Box. In a few weeks there’d be a good growth of this long Moss(?) anchored to the Gravel and/or Oyster Shells. As the season progressed, the Moss(?) would need to be trimmed several times or it’d clog-up the water flow. After a few years the area whereby the Moss(?) was dumped would have hardier vegetation than elsewhere.

Fascinating Tom!

2. Cj aka Elderofzyklons Blog says:

Reblogged this on ElderofZyklon's Blog!.

3. Ryu says:

Good job, MW! Your garden flourishes.

4. Peak Finance says:

MW, this is your place? My god how do you find the time to do this and work as well! It’s nice!

You mentioned desert, what part of the country are you in?

Do you have chickens? If so, do you let then loose in the garden? I have been told that they naturally will keep the bugs off of the plants for you, but, in my personal experience I have found the chickens are fairly destructive and I would not trust them in the garden.

Maybe you put them in the garden for like an hour, supervised?

5. Adit says:

Very Nice. It’s nice to see so much green. The desert is beautiful in its own way, but I do miss the green sometimes. Could you tell us how much produce you can get out of your yard? Its nice to have an idea to know how much food you can approximately get per sq/ft if you do it right.

The fruit trees produce 200 pounds of fruit per tree, minimum. Sometimes I wonder if I shoudln’t have focused on just being an orchardist. Each potato plant yields 2 to 10 pounds of potatoes. Not a bad ROI though. Even 2 pounds of potatoes for a 1/4 pound seed potato is pretty darn good. The world record is 50 pounds, at least accoridng to a book Seaweed in Agriculture. There’s a picture of an Irish potato farmer with a pile of potatoes.

Tomato plants yield 20 to 100 pounds per plant. This year at the urging of Craig I’m trying to train them up real high. I have two 11 foot high trellises this year, each 16 feet long. Got a late start this year because of school, so my garden is not what it could be. But the fruit trees produce no matter what. I live in the Northeast, by the way. Great for moisture, not so great for the fungus that the moisture brings.

I can’t wait for high food prices though. People will kick into action when this happens. There will be so much backyard gardening and urban gardening and the commercial organic farmers, the family farms, will produce more, and will do business with the backyard and urban gardeners.

One thing my good friend Hereward Saxon talks about is that backyard and urban gardens won’t feed the masses, that the tractor farms of acres of row cropping is necessary. I don’t disagree, but what he is missing is that the urban gardeners will be doing business with the commercial farmers. I see it with my own eyes — I know a commercial farmer who buys seaweed solution, lime, corn gluten in bulk, and he grows seedligns to sell, and the hobby gardeners and urban gardeners do a LOT of business with him. He teaches them (us) what to do and how to do it, and sells us the products he uses. We can give him soil samples to send to some Crop Science place in Michigan that does all this fancy analysis and sells all kinds of fertilizing nostrums. I don’t know if it’s a scam or not, but if it doesn’t make a return on investment, people will stop doing it. I don’t buy fancy fertilizers because I’m pretty happy with my yields, but this farmer friend of mine has quite a racket going with Connecticut hobby gardeners

One problem I have is that I cannot grow direct seeded crops that are sensitive to drying out like carrots. Getting carrots to sprout is pretty difficult. In my experience you need to water 10 times a day, or put something over the carrots like a piece of plywood, and then only water 5 times a day. Once they sprout, they go, but getting carrots to sprout is not something to take for granted. Beets on the other hand, no problem.

I know a woman whose been on welfare pretty much all her life. She’s never had a job except raising her (white) kids. In 2011 I tilled a little area in her yard of the apartment where she lives, and planted squash, tomatoes, and peppers. Ever since then she’s been expanding that garden and taking care of it like her baby. She put slat fencing around it to keep the cats and dogs and kids out, she’s got trellised tomatoes, peppers, squash and beans.

People want to contribute. that’s what makes us happy. We want to go out and bring home the bacon – not just rectangular pieces of paper, but real, tangible things you can eat and drink. It gives meaning to our lives.

Firepower at Eradica says that if we embrace this way of life we’ll just become illiterate peasant-slaves. But all wealth comes from the sun, soil and water. I want to control, or have some modicum of control over this. In the history of the Soviet Union, the farmers were the hardest to group of people to control and had to be demonized and massacred for the Bolshevist regime to survive. Had those Ukrainian farmers been better armed and organized, they might have been able to turn the tide against the Bolsheviks. In the 1920’s in Germany, the farmers were the earliest supporters of the NSDAP.

So if food prices go up, we’re going to have a country of millions of armed mini-farmers who resist along the whole spectrum of resistance — not just with hot lead and cold steel, but with trade and with culture. We’ll trade among ourselvves and cut out the middlemen, or gouge the middlemen. We’ll fight for control of our economy, of our household. It will be hell for them. They have no idea how bad it’s going to be for them, how difficult it will be to extract us. They are fighting the last war, preparing for street battles. What they’re going to get is a country where they have to try and rob millions of mini-farmers at gunpoint. If they have to pull out all the stops and use drones and lasers and superguns or whatever, it will destroy their legitimacy forever. They better win, or they’ll get Nuremberged.

• Mr Hyde says:

And thanks to their near-omniscient surveillance system they’ll have a difficult time claiming that they didn’t know about the ongoing program of white genocide

• Peak Finance says:

This here:

Is one of the reasons that I am so keen on ethanol. Grow all of the fruit you want, it never, ever goes to waste, at worst you can shred it and dump it into mash tanks. leftover mesh can safely be fed to animals as fodder, and you already know what can be done with the ethanol 🙂

Another interesting point about fruit trees, is that it effects the flavor of the local honey. South Florida locally-made Orange Blossom Honey is simply the best you will ever have.

interesting. like clover honey. whenever I see a European honeybee I say a prayer for it, just as when I see a White family or a White mother with White children.

• Tom Bowie says:

Mindweapon; you’re doing an excellent job with encouraging self sufficiency not only with your Web-Site but with that lady as well.

I have a friend that works for the county roads department who has a garden as well. As such he’s noticed that quite a few of the homes in subdivisions have been starting small garden plots in the last few years; each year there are more people doing it. (I’m of a mind that I didn’t influence what he said in any way as he was the one who raised the topic.)

There is a side street that goes by my house and joins an intersection; this causes traffic to move slowly or stop. I noticed while starting my garden this year that quite a few people slowed down more than normal and some even made positive comments as they passed. As the season progressed and my crops grew, several people have stopped to ask questions. The thing that interests people most is that you can use a weed-eater to trim the grass/lawn around the pipes without harming the plants.

For years our people have been stocking up on firearms and ammunition and now, they’re taking another step forward into growing their own food.

On a side note: Last year I was talking to a woman who mostly raised a garden for the enjoyment it gave her and admitted to spending about $2,000.00 per year on her hobby. Knowing I’d not have much money this year, I put aside $20.00 for my garden and furthermore in order to make it a challenge, I resolved to even purchase everything from seeds on up with that limited amount. (other than what I already had or could scavenge)

Several stores in my area sell seeds and stuff as a seasonal sideline and will reduce the price several times towards the end of the year. By taking the time to sort through all of the unsold packs of seeds, I was able to find exactly what I wanted and get most of my seeds for $0.07 a pack. I also got a new watering can, a few plastic tomato stakes, and several small bags of lime at a much reduced price. I only needed to purchase a few packs of seeds at the start of the season this year and had $0.85 leftover. (I may be unavoidably cheating a bit on my figures because I have no way to measure what I spent on the town water during several days I had to use it after running out of collected rainwater.)

I’ve been wanting a larger container to collect rainwater in and the day before yesterday I made a trade. (I’d have liked the container to be food grade out of caution but, they’re harder to come by and a bit expensive. I don’t believe it’ll hurt being non-food grade as rain barrels themselves are not.) I traded about 19 Tomatoes, 17, Cucumbers, 4 Bell Peppers, 7 Squash, a quart+ of Cherry Tomatoes, some small Carrots and, a good batch of String Beans for a large container with lid http://www.mhpn.com/product/rugged_ship_shape_bulk_containers_cube_out_trucks_for_maximum_efficiency/automation that will hold 205.7 gallons of water.

Yesterday I added some straps at the stress points to offer it support and put it under a downspout replacing a 35 gallon barrel. The weight capacity is 600 lbs. and while I understand this is possibly the working load limit I wanted to be on the safe side as by my rough figures that amount of water weighs a bit over 1,700 lbs.

While no money exchanged hands, I’d say my piecemeal garden turned a profit this year in the newly emerging economy while providing some food for myself, my family and even my dogs.

6. Stary Wylk says:

Thanks for the gardening news. Too many of us know all about defending against attack and little about defending against hunger.

Thanks Stary Wylk! I have long considered food independence, or the potential for it, a cornerstone of White activism. After all, if we have to beg the oligarchs for a crust of bread, we are their slaves.

• Adit says:

Have you ever seen the magazine BackWoods Home? I haven’t read it in a while, but its about Self reliant living and they used to have a lot of good info about everything from farming to self defense.

Yep, I used to subscribe years ago.

7. ZOGWHORE says:

BEEN CHECKING OUT A LOT OF AQUAPONICS SITES ON JUTUBE – ITS GREAT FOR IF YOU HAVE A SMALL SPACE TO WORK IN – AND THE QUALITY OF GREENS IS PHENOMENAL!

8. Sam says:

Love your garden. After reading about your potatoes I’ve read a little about potato container gardening. I didn’t know you got several potatoes from one plant. Duhhh… I know a great deal about growing some things. Specially hydroponics. Not so much potatoes. I’m not so sure that growing your own food is going to make you wealthy or anything. Seems to me the best reason is disconnect from gov. control. Control your own destiny.

Yeah, it won’t make you wealthy while corn syrup is cheap. If the price of food was not distorted by fossil fuel inputs nad government subsidies, family farmers would still be able to make a reasonable living.

9. ZOGWHORE says:

I ENJOY USING DIFFERENT NAMES MW – IF I WAS PLAYING, I WOULD GET RID OF THE BIG FONT – THATS MY SIGNATURE. AFTER WORKING ACTIVELY AGAINST ZOG IN PALESTINE I KNOW HOW TO PLAY DIFFERENT GAMES – MY SHEER HATRED FOR ORGANISED JUDAISM KNOW AS ‘ZOG’ MEANS THAT I LIKE TO FUCK WITH THE ZOG TAG ALOT – YOU KNOW I AM THE SAME DUDE POSTING, SO DONT BE OVERALLY CONCERNED ABOUT THE SIGNATURE OVER SUBSTANCE – I AINT USING ‘PYSCHOTIC’ USERNAMES:))