Lentils and the second meal effect

I’ve been eating lentils and have noticed that I don’t have the afternoon tiredness from the glycemic spike, as this youtube talks about.

A big problem of hobby gardeners is a failure to grow staple crops, as I’ve mentioned many times before. Lentils are definitely a staple crop, and you can grow them close together, in 1 foot or 2 foot wide rows. And the stems and leaves are feed for livestock, if you know anyone with chickens or goats or pigs. Next year I’m going to do a large row or rows of lentils and trade the stems/leaves to a chicken farmer in exchange for eggs.

I just planted sprouted lentils this morning for a fall harvest. I have some lentil plants coming up from seed as well, with excellent germination! they are very hardy and easy to grow. I have a book on the history of lentils as a survival food. Unfortunately I don’t have the title in front of me, but in short, a lot of ancient humanity survived famine thanks to nutrient dense and hardy lentils. Here’s one thing I found on them:

The earliest archeological dating of lentils is from the Paleolithic and Mesolithic layers of Franchthi Cave in Greece (13,000 to 9,500 years ago) and from the end-Mesolithic at Mureybit and Tell Abu Hureya in Syria, and about 8000 B.C. in the Jericho area of Palestine. Other remains come from Çayonü, Turkey dated at 6700 B.C and the many other sites in the Middle and Near East. The lentil was an important crop in ancient times and the size of its seeds have slowly increased since classical times. Lentils are a plant associated with the Old World agricultural revolution in prehistoric times that was domesticated along with einkorn and emmer wheats, barley, pea, and flax. Lentils were also spread with Neolithic agriculture to Greece and Bulgaria. Then it spread, with wheat and barley, into the Bronze Age agriculture of the Near East and Mediterranean. The lentil played a role with the Jews as we know from the story of Esau who gave up his birthright for a dish of lentils (Genesis 25: 30-34). The ancient Greeks very much enjoyed lentils, especially in soups. Aristophanes said “You, who dare insult lentil soup, sweetest of delicacies.” The Greeks also made lentils into bread. Pliny describes the growing of lentils from seed and its varieties. He mentions its medicinal properties and a variety of ways of boiling or otherwise cookings lentils for various remedies. Both Roman writers Juvenal and Martial describe a lentil dish eaten by the poor called conchis in which lentils were cooked with the pods. Apicius has several recipes for lentils. In the sixth century, Anthimus says lentils should be cooked slowly, and once they are cooked a little vinegar should be added for flavor, along with Syrian sumac. It’s served with olive oil and whole coriander and some salt.

18 Responses to Lentils and the second meal effect

1. I wanted to keep chickens at the place I’m moving to, but I heard they recently made that against the rules.

just grow lentils and stuff and trade the vegetation to a chicken farmer in the area. chickens and livestock are a pain in the neck area. it’s better (in my opinion) to grow fruits and vegetables nad trade for meat and eggs.

• Good thing they don’t allow it then.
        I guess the cow was a bad idea to.

Yeah, I can help you do stuff right the first year. I learned by trial and error for 10 years. One interesting thing to do is 11 foot high trellises for tomatoes and cukes. You train your plants to go way up high, so high that you need a free standing stepladder to harvest. This keeps stuff off the ground, they get more sun, and easier to harvest. Also, fruit trees produce with almost no effort, just a bit of spraying. Fruit can be converted to booze. Also, consider growing tobacco especially if prices go up. You’ll be able to sell to the smokers.

• Is it legal to sell tobacco without a license here! I read it’s illegal to do so in Australia. Tobacco is mostly a jew business, so naturally they want a monopoly..

it ain’t going to matter when TSHTF bro!

• Craig says:

You get done for growing tobacco here like it’s weed, the black market industry of chop chop moved the US corporate growers out of Australia, as they complained about the loss of profit to chop chop and threatened to move, so they did. But the chop chop is still here.

Chop Chop is untreated natural tobacco sold on the under ground market, it’s a huge cash crop here. Cheaper then buying smokes from the shop apparently, my brother in-law smokes it. $15 for a packet of 20 smokes in the shops, it’s not hard to see why chop chop is moved by the B double truck to uhum it’s market.

Tell me more about chop chop. You mean it’s not cured? How do they keep it dry? Fresh, uncured tobacco can be dried, but then if if it’s left for a while it gets moist and unsmokable again.

• Adit says:

How is it with herbs? Would they actually be worth growing in large quantities for trade for other items or just stick with staple crops? I would think when things go south, having something to help flavor food might come in handy. Salt and pepper might actually become hard to come by so herbs might be a descent trade item.

• Craig says:

The chop chop is dried cured, not with smoke or chemicals, after it’s dried it’s processed into rollie tobacco and packaged. People buy ready made cigs with filters and a little machine to stuff or roll the cigs. I use to watch my brother in-law fill his hard case packet of smokes.

Much cheaper then buying over the counter smokes with all the taxes, it tastes alright to I guess, but it has been years since I smoked it, brother in-law still does.

When drying it there’s probably a specific moisture content, but I’m not sure what that would be, I assume around a 15% moisture content.

Thanks Craig. i’m pretty sure a lot of people have the same idea.

There’s a lot of Americans who are quite simply looking forward to the end of large corporations franchising and monopolizing larger and larger swathes of the economy, or giving it away to foreigners.

The reason gardening is such a good place to get started is that it is the point of production. If you can produce in a market where it’s profitable to you, you can organize with other farmers to have our own stores, rather than letting the You Know Who be our eternal Mittelmenschen, or havign them give it to Hindus and Paks rather than let us have it.

WE have to say, “fuck you, the market for food for White people is going to be dominated by White people and profitted by White people.” THere’s still 200 million of us or so around in this country, after all.

Producers can decide to whom to sell, so we already have the point of production advantage, the source advantage. And we can be doing what is most profitable, wehtehr its tobacco or fiber or feedstock for booze. Vice farming in turn capitalizes food farming, rather than loans. Why should farmers take loans? Fuck the banks,and fuck the middlemen and tax men. Producers should keep the wealth they produce, and decide how to dispose of it, and in disposing of this wealth, deciding how to shape society.

The middlemen are shaping society, the people who make money for no work, not the producers, are dictating the culture.

It’s nice to be a producer, a provider. Here’s from 5 minutes in the bean rows:

2. Peak Finance says:

About this:

In the United States these days, assume that it’s either illegal, or “de-facto” illegal. By “de-facto” illegal I mean that it requires so much paperwork and legal set-up that a small business doesn’t bother due to start-up costs. It’s so insane here now.

3. Tom Bowie says:

Perhaps you would want a few Tobacco plants for a reason other than smoking. The turn of topic sparked an old memory. As I recall Tobacco Poison could be made in different strengths for the task at hand; it’d even make short work of hornets if strong enough.

WARNING: do research and know what you’re doing before you proceed to try this out.

From the Web-Site = “15. Tobacco products – this is definitely a classic natural pesticide, but most organic gardeners today stay away from it. It may kill beneficials too if abused. It can cause diseases on tomatoes if not properly used. Most modern pro-tobacco pesticidal tea experts suggest to brew a tobacco tea no more than 30 minutes, to be safe enough to not harm beneficials like bees and ladybugs. You can mix in a liquid soap as a spreader-sticker. NOTE: Do not use tobacco teas on nightshade family crops. Also recent research has proven that the available nicotine produced in a tobacco tea is not the same stuff as nicotine sulfate. It is much safer than nicotine sulfate or rotenene. Just one drop of pure nicotine sulfate on your skin can may you sick. Homemade tobacco teas have great knock down power for tough pests like Japanese beetles. Chewing tobaccos are the most safest, natural forms for these homemade tobacco teas.”

(The old Black Flag recipe that made them a household product was made from some kind of nicotine as the only active ingredient.)

If you decide to use it I recommend getting a good sprayer http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=vintage+insecticide+sprayer&qpvt=vintage+insecticide+sprayer&FORM=IGRE and clean it if you’re not going to be using it for a few days; after the spray dries a bit it’ll become sticky and gum up the works.

4. oogaboogaman says:

Hell yeah. Was just watching the news and some scientist from GA Tech has come up with an MRE consisting of soy and lentils that supposedly provides your daily nutritional needs.

5. Tom Bowie says:

Mindweapon; I hope you don’t mind answering a question for me. Do you know roughly how many inches of rain you get from the time your Lentils are about come up to when they develop pods.

It often takes me a bit to see the obvious especially from two different things but unlike many I do eventually connect the dots if I keep at it. When I did my research on Lentil Beans the few references about how much water they needed claimed that too much rain in the growing season encouraged the over-development of plant and almost no Lentils. As I recall you mentioned getting fungus due to living in a fairly rainy area.

This could be due to two possibilities; other factors influence and counteract the abundant rainfall or, like many authors on how to topics, they’re authors without real experience.

Tom,

I don’t know, but I think they’ll grow fine. Just try it out, they are very cheap. Buy a bag of lentiles at the supermarket for 3 bucks and plant them.