Some Republicans advocating reform of liberallist “child labor” laws

Child labor law reform

4. They’re advocating child labor again.

What’s the matter with kids today? According to a number of conservatives, they’re not being put to work in factories and farms. Child labor, one of the moral blights of 19th-century America, is increasingly popular on the right again.

Child labor laws do not permit children under the age of 14 to work in non-agricultural settings. That is “truly stupid,” Newt Gingrich said last year while running for the Republican presidential nomination. Children aren’t learning the proper “work habits,” said Gingrich, who proposed firing most school janitors and giving the jobs to underage minority children instead.

Republican Senator Mike Lee has called for abolishing federal child labor laws (although he says he isn’t opposed to state laws). Lee said that labor and manufacturing are “local activities,” not “interstate commercial transactions.”

“This may sound harsh,” said Lee, “but it was designed to be that way. It was designed to be a little bit harsh.”

Arkansas congressional candidate Tom Cotton also believes in child labor. “We need more young people who’ve worked all day in the fields, not less,” said Cotton during his 2012 campaign. Cotton won his race and now serves in the House of Representatives.

As the Germans said, Kinder statt Inder, or children instead of Indians.

The time to learn good work habits and skills is when you are young and curious and energetic. And a kid who has some tough summer job is going to appreciate school and learning much more than a kid who spent the summer mashing buttons on video game joysticks or sitting around texting and absorbing Jewish media poison in it’s various forms.

And imagine how great it would be for local employers to be hiring local kids, instead of Mexicans. If they reform these stupid child labor laws, local people should definitely pressure businesses to hire local kids instead of Mex and Guats.

April Gaede told me that in California in the 1980’s, the whole point of “child labor laws” was to take those jobs (sorting and packing fruit) away from American teenagers, and give the jobs to Central American immigrants.

Employers function as extra parents as well, teaching discipline and good habits in a way that would be resisted by kids if the biological parents did it. The English would do “child trading” precisely because of this effect — kids will obey a non-parental adult more readily than their biological parent.

As if I didn’t have enough reason to hate liberals, I hate them even more for all the summers my daughter spent bored at home when she could have had a job. Liberals gave those jobs to Mex instead, the swine. The few times I’ve been able to give my daughter some kind of compensated employment, she was so proud of herself to be making a little money and doing something useful. But no, liberals deprive children of the work experience, not to “protect” children, but to give the jobs to Mex and Guats instead.

Liberals “protect” children from summer jobs and from happy, same race, opposite sex, two parent biological families. Such “good” people, aren’t they?

15 Responses to Some Republicans advocating reform of liberallist “child labor” laws

1. I wouldn’t support this because as it would be used against us. We don’t yet have the numbers to make sure they didn’t.

I agree though that our kids need to work. I think a lack of purpose is the reason our kids “party” so much and end up with addictions.

• Adit says:

I’ll have to agree with Maureen. Neither Republicans or Democrats are our friends and when I find myself agreeing with them, or worse, them agreeing with me then I become cautious. You have to look at this from every angle possible since you know they aren’t here to help us. While people here may see this as a way to get your kids summer jobs and work experience, etc. but I will wager that is not what this is all about. More than likely it is one of the following: 1. Teach all those White kids to be hard working drones since someone has to keep the system propped up so all those people of color can get their free lunch. White genocide needs someone to pay the bill. 2. They want to squeeze even more profit out of people so not only will we have to compete with 3rd worlders for jobs, but their children as well. 3. They envision factories, a la the early 20th century, with children (most likely imported 3rd worlders) working 60 hour weeks for pennies an hour.

There is currently high unemployment and now they want to add even more people to the labor pool? I smell something rotten.

2. Brandon says:

It’s coming…..that which was old shall be new again because of alignment with Natural Law. Starts incrementally (sausage tactics) and gradually spreads.

3. Stary Wylk says:

All the more reason to farm.

4. Cranberry says:

When I was young, “real” chores started by the time I was four. Simple things: dusting after Mom moved the breakables from the tables and hutch, folding washcloths and dish towels, putting the silverware on the table at dinner time. Even before that, I had to put toys away and put clothes away, and did the basics of bed-making, with my parents’ help. I lived home for most of my college years, and even when I was 18 or 19, my Saturday wasn’t allowed to start until I did my chores: bathrooms, bedsheets, and whatever else my mom needed from me. I had my first job (on a farm, at that) when I was 14. I worked there until I was 19 and loved every second of it. I went from manning a cash register at the farmstand to working in the fields picking corn on foggy July mornings and painting tractor parts in a barn on cold October afternoons. I loved it, and still entertain the dream of having my own farm one day (MW, I’m seriously proposing the Mid-coast Maine farmstead to hubs tonight. Probably not in our wheelhouse right now, but it’s something to look out for in the future).

I know 9 and 10 year old children who don’t have any chores at all, and are never expected to do anything to help in the home. Their mothers complain that they don’t know what to do about them.

Didn’t our Dear Leader promote some legislation that would make it illegal for any child under 18 to work any job, even one on the family farm? I think it was shot down. At my local Farmer’s Fair it was strenuously opposed by 4-H and FFA, organizations that exist to train youth in agricultural jobs and preserve at least a semblance of the American traditions of manual work and community service (I have my issues with each, but in general I support the mission…if only they could de-couple themselves from sponsorship by Monsanto, et. al.).

Liberalism and all its fruits are luxuries, Kids might be forced to work. labor laws be damned, just so their families can eat. My grandparents all had jobs from young ages, official or not. My grandmother knew her father was a hard man; he took her wages as an usherette, and later as a factory girl at Sherwin-Williams in Newark, for the family bank account. She worked part-time after her high school classes were done, and she was given enough money to replace her nylons, take the bus to work, and once a month go out with friends. She considered herself lucky. I cannot imagine what penalties might befall a parent so audacious as to do such things with his daughter’s paycheck.

Generally, though, I agree that this is all about replacing Americans with foreigners. As with most things, once this becomes a crisis in the Black community, it will be given due attention, but it will be too late.

5. sigmatika says:

When I was 12 or 13, my dad gave me a job in his shop; I learned a sort of specialty trade in the manufacturing sector, which I can now take anywhere in the country. He paid me less than the minimum wage, too, so the whole thing was ‘criminal.’ I wasn’t being mistreated, he raised my pay as I became more experienced. Those were pretty lean days for his business, I honestly don’t think he could have afforded a minimum-wage worker. I’m so thankful that he did what he did; I can’t imagine what my life would have been like if I didn’t have a trade to support me. When I was 18 I moved to Montana, sight-unseen, and continued working. I’ve always been a step ahead of my peers in the labor market, because this generation has been convinced that ‘work’ (i.e. self-support) is for ‘adults.’

I believe that wise reform of the child labor, minimum wage, and compulsory schooling laws could very well result in a new industry of educational businesses, like internships for kids. It could cause a huge and lasting economic boom. It sickens me that people aren’t being taught the most useful things at the age when they’re best equipped to learn them. Can you imagine a generation where people have all learned trades from primary-school-age on? I firmly believe this would result in tons of innovation. People are at their most creative around ages 16-17, yet they have no place to apply their creativity because they haven’t actually learned anything of value yet.

Having said all this, it would take a miracle to get such a system running. Not only would you have resistance from the labor unions and the higher-education industry, but there would be massive resistance from all the butthurt, unemployed millennials who made the bad decision of going to college for training in sectors that scarcely even exist in America anymore.

6. Ex-pat in Oz says:

Agree. My daughter loves working and has done since she was able to get a job @ 12 (baby sitting, then clerk in a pharmacy, now working fashion). She has a credit card, juggles work with school and has a good GPA. She’s got her own money and is learning to manage it.

This whole “precious childhood” notion is modern and nonsense. Society infantilizes adults– Nancy Pelosi saying kids should be able to stay on their parents’ health plan till they were 25 or 30…

The kids that learn the value of labor are always better off for it.

7. hardscrabble farmer says:

Over the Summer I employ a few teenage boys for work around the farm. One of them spent the entire Summer using a chainsaw and splitter, by himself, slowly building an enormous mountain of firewood. Yesterday we spent the entire day making deliveries and at the end of the day I was able to put almost one thousand dollars into the deserving hands of a 17 year old boy. I don’t know what he plans on doing with the money, it’s none of my business, but I do know that the look on his face when I paid him was worth all of the effort. This young man has learned not only the worth of his efforts, but delayed gratification (we was not paid during the Summer, only promised his share of the proceeds of the sale of firewood), the safe and proper use of power tools, how to maintain and care for equipment, and the nature of several varieties of hardwood. And he was in great shape for varsity football this season.

There is no lack of employment in the US- this is a political fiction maintained by people whose existence is predicated upon the dependence of a population on the State rather than on their own efforts. It begins by stunting the development of young males, by scaring them away from work that is sutied uniquely to their strengths at that age, by overblowing the risks associated with work while deliberately minimizing the benefits in order to turn them into passive, soft, unhealthy, dependent slobs in need of intervention and programs that do nothing to build character, skill sets, work ethic and independence.

8. April Gaede says:

I grew up near a very large agricultural community, the central valley of California. I went to school at Reedley High from 80-84. During the summers the kids from the high school would work in the packing houses packing fruit. They would make enough to pay for all their pocket money during the school year, car and car insurance too sometimes.It taught them not only to work hard for their money but to save and budget. In the mid 90s these jobs were almost entirely taken over by Mexicans. They made it almost impossible to work in any sections of the food industry in California without being fluent in Mestizo Spanish. Anyone trying to pick fruit would be run out by the fellow pickers or just never hired by the Mestizo slave labor crew contractors. I personally was sexually assaulted and was a victim of attempted murder at several of the plants where I worked as an adult. Of course nothing happened to the spics because they company was run by spics….