Sure is Fun

How many of my fellow countrymen and women awoke this morning to a thawing muskrat on their kitchen counter and a soaking deer hide by the wood stove? My guess is not terribly many, and as usual when I experience these moments, I felt both a little lonely and a bit pleased. I’m not above a bit of self satisfaction from time-to-time, particularly when I’m reminded of how fortunate I am to have meandered onto this path in the first place. I’d like to think everybody feels that way about their respective paths. I hope so.

11 Responses to Sure is Fun

1. the outdoorsman says:

I’ve always been tempted to try cooking a muskrat – I suspect they would make a good chili meat. I like their smell when I skin them. Usually I’m too tired after a full day of trapping and then skinning the catch at night to bother gutting and cleaning the muskrats though. They don’t go to waste – they make good bait; and the dogs and cats love them.

2. Paladin Justice says:

Hmmm. There’s something to be said for the life of a country gentleman as opposed to a hunter/trapper lifestyle. I’d rather be T. Jefferson at Monticello than a mountain man. But my live and let live philsophy of life rejoices for those who are able to do what they love. Most people are just wage and debt slaves, marking time until the Grim Reaper knocks on the door. Better to live free than as a slave.

• the outdoorsman says:

I make hunting & trapping a part of the country gentleman lifestyle. My version of the “cultured thug” – easy to understand if you ever visit a fur buyer at one of their small town stops.

3. I have a couple of books that discuss how to cook squirrels and pigeons. I hear grasshoppers and crickets can be pretty tasty too, if you get over the “ew, bugs” factor they’re a good source of protein.

• @WI

You remember that MW is big on insect protein, right? I’m all for rural lifestyles, but I’m going to have to pass on that one.

I love rabbit though. Squirrel and muskrat are a bit too white trash for me.

4. zek says:

Off-topic, some happy holiday tidings:

Bigshot Minnesota DWL assaulted by his pets, vows to help them turn their lives around

Race of perps not mentioned. LOL! Every time a DWL gets beaten up by a pack of coons, an angel gets his wings!

Look at that, the “young women” tried to claim he attacked them!

He guessed the police came after about five minutes. Upon their arrival, Andrew said the women told police that he had assaulted them first, but a witness inside the shop confirmed his account. Even after authorities detained the attackers, the women told Andrew they would have him killed.
      The hospital treated and released him the same night.
      The person who swiped the phone apparently dropped it after seeing the commotion, and a passerby later returned it to Andrew.

• zek says:

Oh geez, how could I have skimmed over the best part:

“I’m not going to let someone take my phone,” Andrew said. “I’m not going to let that pass. They thought they wouldn’t get chased.”

Oooooo, tough guy who just got his ass kicked by two girls isn’t gonna let that pass!

Be warned, all you damaged kids out there! We’re not going to let that kind of thing pass! We’re gonna chase you down and help you turn your lives around!

Who says I’m ‘soft on crime??’

• A.Ralston says:

“No one at the packed Starbucks intervened.
      ‘They were too afraid,’ Andrew said.”

Disgusting on several levels.

5. chuck says:

God bless you. I just looked at that picture of that kid and feel better.

God’s speed, God’s grace and my prayers.