But what happens if whites talk back and get all uppity and stuff? We can speak right back to Chauncey in a direct way. Judging by the comment policy at his site, he’s not up for any uppity talkback from the likes of us.

The Most Important Question Surrounding the Ani DiFranco Plantation Retreat “Controversy”: Are White Women the Natural Allies of People of Color in the Struggle Against Racism?

Referring to this Jane Elliott video, if you can stand to watch it — Chauncey DeVega is a big fan of bullying white people with a pseudo-crime, the accusation of which by a non-white is proof of guilt.

By the way, our guys have talked back to Jane Elliott, back around 2003 in Worcester, Massachusetts at Assumption College. They were too brief and polite though. If I was in a Jane Elliott session, I’d talk right back at her until they had to get campus security to remove me.

Marcia MacInnis • 5 days ago −
In the video referenced by Mr. DeVega, Sister Jane Elliot comes across as a bully who abuses her authority, not as a champion of justice. Her shabby treatment of a white female student who isn’t conventionally pretty is the kind of female-on-female hostility and over-competitiveness that women in the workplace have to deal with every day, regardless of race. I think Elliot owes all of us an apology.
4 •Reply•Share ›
chauncey devega Marcia MacInnis • 5 days ago
You prove Elliot’s point. One of the basic ways that white privilege works is through the expectation by white folks that their feelings will always be respected and that they won’t be “bullied” i.e. spoken to in a direct way. She explains as much in that and other videos. White privilege is one hell of a drug.
3 1 •Reply•Share ›
Marcia MacInnis chauncey devega • 5 days ago
Thank you for your reply. With all respect, though, I wonder if you don’t understand women! Jane Elliot impresses me as a self-hating, guilt-ridden bourgeoise white person. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that she picks on the one person in the room who is most like her: a plain-looking glasses-wearing Caucasian girl with intelligence and enough spirit to challenge her. Elliot verbally strokes all the boys, all the girls of color and the petite (possibly lesbian?) white girl. Her racism and sexism rear their ugly heads in ways that her followers apparently are too blind to see. By the way, I live in a mixed neighborhood where kids of all backgrounds, including Black, Asian and American Indian (yes, that’s the preferred nomenclature) go to the same schools, join the same sports teams and socialize at the same events. Maybe that’s because most of us are lower middle class. Seems to me that racial hatred is a luxury that only the upper middle class and the rich can afford. The rest of us are too busy trying to survive and to help each other in our own way.

13 Responses to More on the Ani DiFranco scandal; Chauncey DeVega says that he has a right to bully white people

1. PA says:

” Are White Women the Natural Allies of People of Color in the Struggle Against Racism?”

To the extent some White women are actively anti-racist, White women are the most UNNATURAL allies on non-Whites.

A woman is her man’s complementary half. To expect women to betray their men is to advocate genocide.

2. Cj aka Elderofzyklons Blog says:

Reblogged this on ElderofZyklon's Blog!.

3. Snake says:

Hopefully my comment heightened the contradictions, even a little. It’s always fun dropping some laxatives in the punch of enemy discourse.

Frosty_The_White_Man • 2 hours ago
      Nope. White women are just playing at social justice because it’s trendy and socially acceptable. In 1950 they supported segregation, black genocide, and eugenics. People who happen to possess color should expel these paleface fifth-columnists at once. In the long run they’ll submit to white fascists again.

Is that your comment? Awesome dude!

• Landsknech says:

Good comment there Snake.

Coudn’t resist slipping one in myself on behalf of Winston_Jack!

Good stuff guys!

Nathanwartooth • 5 hours ago
        White women are just as bigoted if not more so than their pale counterparts.

They aren’t our allies and if you heard the things white bread women say when not around people of color you would be shocked.

The only true way to overcome racism from white women is to not have contact with them. You must kick them out of your social groups and treat them like the racist bigots they really are!
        •Share ›
        yinrising • 12 hours ago
        The 40-year attack of women of color against white women goes on. Goes back to Audre Lorde’s attack on the brilliant Mary Daly, whose masterwork Gyn/Ecology has been largely ignored because Lorde inexplicably complained that it didn’t express her experience. It was a ridiculous claim with no applicability since the experience of any one woman was not what the book was about, but rather structures of male dominance globally — Chinese footbinding, African genital mutilation, European witch burning, Western medicine and of course Christianity.

All of these have affected everyone’s experience, including Lorde’s, including men. Lorde attacked Daly out of resentment, which is what I think black womanists — because they can’t share the name feminist in their consciences, womanist is a term invented by Alice Walker — or feminists are expressing. As a white woman, I can understand the apprehension of dealing with any part of what is seen as the white establishment. But white women are not part of the white establishment in a sense for which they had any real or true agency. Any true understanding of feminism knows this. White women’s fears were played on, and their property rights were nonexistent, despite the claims of this writer.

My only suggestions to women of color from my perspective as a white woman in this society at this time is that you need to show your evidence for white women being racist, and digging at Ani DiFranco appears to be your only recourse, because I don’t think you have any real evidence. I support the struggles of people of color because I know they our struggle is in fact against the same entity: patriarchy, which probably first came from white men. We need more historical understanding of women’s history, not only the history of peoples of color. We are all really just part of one struggle, so we need to relate better and work together. I think there are a lot of baseless attacks. I have seen white women be very responsive and inclusive.

What people of color who support women must get is that white women’s struggles to self-determine have been motivated by wanting to change the structures that oppress us all. I have heard a lot of race consciousness among women and I am sure that is because they did listen when women of color felt they weren’t included. But they had to be active and join up and want to have a conversation instead of attacking all of the time.

Discussions of people of colors’ particular struggles rightly consumes the conscience of the left. But I would argue that women’s struggle is rightly the other half of that conversation. It is not in fact the property of white women, as again the writer is wrongly assuming. It should be all of our concern.

The writer should reach out to Ani DiFranco and have a conversation and post it for everyone to see on the Internet.
        •Share ›
        chauncey devega yinrising • 9 hours ago
        Well written but ahistorical:

“White women’s fears were played on, and their property rights were nonexistent, despite the claims of this writer.”

Also this gem:

“Discussions of people of colors’ particular struggles rightly consumes the conscience of the left.”

it does? Many would disagree.

Interesting:

” I have seen white women be very responsive and inclusive.”

What would 3rd world feminists and womanists say? Although I am a man, I have witnessed and been privy to much (liberal) racism by self-described activist white feminists. Gender is no shield for white racism and white privilege. Your appeal to anecdotes again does not tell us anything about the macro level story.

This too:

“But white women are not part of the white establishment in a sense for which they had any real or true agency.”

White women who got black men lynched with false cries of rape? White women in the KKK? White women who fought for their right to vote by highlighting how the idea that black men could vote before them was an abomination and a crime against white civilization?

Patriarchy and white supremacy have many overlaps. But do not fall into the trap of suggesting that white women have not as a matter of historical routine in the U.S. sided with white power structures against people of color more generally. To paraphrase Sister Sojourner Truth, they took her babies not because she was a woman but because she was black.”

I linked to Mills and Pateman’s book on racism and sexism/patriarchy. If you have not read it, it could be of use to you.
        1 •Share ›
        ChuangTzu14 • 13 hours ago −
        Wow. The Stalinist left is on the rampage. This is why I can’t take these idiots seriously.

Are you really wasting your time going after Ani De Franco? I’m not even a big fan but jeeeez, what’s with all the hate?

The ruling Class has nothing to fear with these clueless useless morons trying to police everything.

I hate it from the right, why should it be tolerated on the pseudo-left?

The world is crumbling around you led no less by liberal and conservative’s black president and you’re picking on Ani De Franco?

I was kind of surprised by the comments to see how many white-hating people there are on this site.

Ruling Class mission accomplished. When you get the lower orders squabbling among themselves there is no threat from below.
        1 •Share ›
        Cherrylogger • 15 hours ago
        Chauncey, You are a mess, dare I say boy? It seems to me that you are playing for the house. OK, well everybody’s got to make a living. but “White Women?” Too broad. Ooops.
        •Share ›

4. The typical Ani DiFranco fan will simply tune out the aggressive Negro DeVega and continue on with their hipster racist ways, perhaps adopting a mulatto lesbian as their “black friend.” DeVega will double down on the “White Supremacy” talk until the DiFrancoians respond with accusations of “sexism” and “homophobia” coming from the “unenlightened” parts of the “minority community” and it will be a stalemate.

DeVega doesn’t care, as long as he gets to bang a mudshark and collect some $$$ and airtime from MSNBC occasionally. In fact, I hope he doubles down and alienates the white liberals even more. There’s only so much masochism they are going to take, in the Obama era, I’m pretty sure that well has run dry.

Chauncey replied to my tweet off this post saying that I misinterpreted him. Of course it’s purely subjective whether I misinterpreted him or not, but I learned from the left to take the enemy’s words and make the most uncharitable assumptions about them. I don’t think I went too far out on a limb — he used the term “bullying” himself.

THe most interesting thing about this is he has no plan for what to do if White people talk back to him, instead of just playign the victim. If we tell the anti-whites to go straight to hell with their guilt trips, Game Over. That’s why he doesn’t allow any comments except the choir on his blog.

5. landsknecht88 says:

Good comment there Snake!

Coudn’t resist posting one myself on behalf of Winston_Jack!

6. ChaunceyVegan says:

Often it seems the whole social-justice-civil-rights-complex is about white women.