Students accused of racist tweets against rival high school
By Denise Whitaker, KOMO News Published: Mar 7, 2014 at 10:08 AM PDT

No mention of any wrongdoing by any of the darling African-Americans. I’m sure they din do nuffins!

SEATTLE – A rivalry between two local high schools has extended beyond the basketball court with offensive racial tweets, triggering a police investigation.

The two rival teams, Issaquah High School and Seattle’s Garfield High, meet Friday night in state playoff action at the Tacoma Dome.

The comments – some 10 pages worth, according to a Seattle police report – are racist in nature and appear to have been posted on Twitter by students at Issaquah High School.

When the two teams last met two weeks ago, Garfield beat Issaquah 83- 65. Then malicious tweets started going out.

The Garfield High School resource officer learned of the messages and filed a report saying the tweets negatively referred to African American students at Garfield.

The report also quoted some of the text messages:

• “Checkmate was when Abraham Lincoln made the mistake of freeing you.”

• “No actually just my insults are too complicated for your primitive mind to understand.”

Issaquah High School investigated the claims and has now posted an online apology.

It reads, in part: “We are sincerely sorry for the hurtful actions by a few students who acted on their own. Thus far in our investigation, none of the varsity basketball players were involved in the tweets.”

Issaquah administrators said they feel Friday night’s basketball game between the two schools will be a good opportunity to demonstrate good sportsmanship.

And the school said it hopes parents take the opportunity to discuss appropriate use of the Internet and use it as a reminder to be kind and respectful to others.

7 Responses to High school basketball and Twitter do not mix; or they mix very well; another Twitter scandal

1. Cj aka Elderofzyklons Blog says:

Reblogged this on ElderofZyklon's Blog!.

2. Ryu says:

Interesting. Some tweets can cause a police investigation.

3. New England Millennial says:

It’s great that this is coming from White athletes.

When I was a teenager way too many White athletic types listened to cRap music and played sports with blacks so they became Africanized (like the white kid in the Steubenville case). Notice during the 90s it seems the mass-media shifted away from pushing implicitly-White heavy metal (Metallica) or punk rock music (RHCP) to Eminem. I’m sure that was by design.
    There was a club in the town where I lived that used to have two dance halls, one played Eurodance, trance, techno music and the other played rap and reggaeton music. Anyway as can be expected it kind of segregated racially that way and I remember a naive Danish exchange student telling me it made him think of Jim Crow, LOL.

BTW does anybody here who has younger relatives know what young White teenagers listen to nowadays? Dub-step? I know the girls probably listen to Katy Perry, Miley, Lorde, etc. but what about the guys? Do they still listen to rap? I only ask because WN need to somehow find a way to insert WN messages into this music or even compose music in that style.

Up here country is a very implicitly White style and I believe a lot of the young people who go to those concerts here do so because it is White. You Southron types might like to know that in the rural counties here like Windham you’ll even see Confederate flags outside people’s homes!

• New England Millennial says:

I’m trying to get into pagan metal but I’m not sure if I like the vocals…

Yes that’s true! I’m in Windham County and I see the Confederate flag around here quite a bit.

• Robot Sam says:

The 90s was the 70s on methamphetamine. It was like the YKWs were spreading their filthy diseased wings and spreading plague as far as they could. Rap, lesbian musicians and race mixed pieces of trash like Lenny Kravitz were pushed strongly, while for white people they pushed angry and depressing grunge, perversity like Marilyn Manson (also a tribesman), and garbage like boy bands and stupid babbling black singers like Mariah Carey.

4. Dan says:

I can’t understand why White Americans watch basketball. It’s so dull. Also if ever there was a ‘sport’ designed to max iut all blacks are good at, its b-ball. No talent is required; you’re tall, you’re good. You’re short, you’re not.