The best thing to do with your life; Play with biomechanics and muscle memory

Human Civilization has very much become Brave New World, with people being very passive and numb consumers of electronic media and corn syrup.

What was the alternative? What is the alternative?

It is biomechanics and muscle memory activities. Anything from playing music, standup comedy/charisma (mental muscle memory), martial arts, dance, magic tricks, juggling and so on.

People don’t do muscle memory stuff nearly as much as they used to, so the people who do it command a higher value in the marketplace of human culture.

I was drawn to the Russians because they do muscle memory stuff more intensely than we do. Children’s orchestras in the USA are generally dysphonic approximations of musical pieces; Children’s orchestra’s in Russia rival adult city orchestras. The kids are trained correctly from day one in correct biomechanics and never allowed to do anything incorrectly. They ONLY know the right way.

In the USA you can find some quality muscle memory training in large metropolitan areas like NYC, LA, Boston — Russian cello teachers, White and Asian martial arts masters, ballet schools that teach something like they would in Russia, if you are lucky. But most of us don’t live in major metro areas and we are deprived of good muscle memory training.

Muscle memory training is what we must strive for, for ourselves and especially our children. I did violin for many years but started too late and didn’t have good training from the beginning, so I had to abandon it at last in favor of math and martial arts. But I must say I am quite happy with both hobbies.

Serious tennis players are very strong arm wrestlers, with their tennis playing arm. That is muscle memory strength rather than weight lifting strength.

Internal martial arts is about making your whole body like a tennis player’s dominant arm. The joints move very freely, the body moves with integrity, like that juggler, or like Tommy Carruthers below.

This hobby has made me discover a new (or old) form of exercise; swinging the arms, one side at a time, using hip twisting force. Just making controlled but powerful movements, developing whole body muscle memory, is really amazing. People don’t do this because they are afraid how they will appear to others. But think about it. Adults go through life with very little movement, and the movement we do is very stiff and repetitive — walking, running, treadmill. What about jumping around like a monkey, or like one did when one was a child? Sounds silly, but I’m finding great wisdom in this.

Here’s four examples of biomechanic muscle memory, including psychological muscle memory.

18 Responses to The best thing to do with your life; Play with biomechanics and muscle memory

1. Cj aka Elderofzyklons Blog says:

Reblogged this on ElderofZyklon's Blog! and commented:
    Training For The Up And Coming Fight Is Indeed The Best Thing White Men Can Do At This point, Im Not Over Keen On Putin(Though He Is Doing Better Than The West) But Truth Is Eastern Slavs Are Hard As Nails, They Have The Right Idea, The Rest Of Europe’s Men Should Follow!

2. john says:

Russian no spin knife throwing can be done at home. Lots of vidoes online. Check out the master Yuri Fedin.

3. Craig says:

Muscle memory, once you have it, it’s not something you lose easily. I have found some people have faster reactions then others. Myself I wear glasses, since I was 4 years, it was a disadvantage for me, that turned into an advantage. Being a bloky bloke I didn’t like wearing glasses for anything but school, reading and TV when young, anything out side was no glasses. I played heaps of sport, fought, ran, even used bicycles to get away from the cops in the dark night, that was a laugh at 13 to 14 years, all the old bush tracks and dinkying(That means riding a bike and carrying your mate on the handle bars.) mates along the way too.

That was some what achieved by what some call spatial awareness, I call it second sight or peripheral sight, when you know how to use your peripheral vision you see more stuff, process it and react instinctively. It’s like you have a minds eye, muscle memory connection between your second sight/peripheral vision, that makes it spooky eerie in sport, fights, or bad situations. You pull shit off, that feels like you pulled it out of your arse, really it’s more of a honed natural killer instinct, that most modern men have lost.

Maybe it’s like real time visualisation of some sorts. I like this take below on it.

• I have a similar experience with wearing glasses and spatial awareness. In a way, it’s almost as though the brain distrusts the eyes and searches for other input to react to. I’ve had some WTF moments where shit was happening behind me and yet I performed the right move. One time it was a bunch of us hanging around the mall, one of our mates thought it would be funny to give me a kick in the ass, only I reached out behind and spun him around harmlessly. To emphasize the point, I had been baked on some really good pot all day.A lot of stunned onlookers. I just gave him a glare, everyone settled down, and life went on. Playing hockey, this emerged a couple times and people were just slack-jawed as if they didn’t believe what they just saw. Deflecting shots into the net was a specialty, but batting down passes from outside my field of vision is just something you cannot teach or practice.

• Craig says:

At night do your eyes adjust to the dark efficiently? I’ve read it takes some people 2 minutes to 20 minutes. When with mine I have the purple enzyme for about 10 to 20 seconds and I’m right to go, if I’m blinded with heaps of light it takes about 1 minute.

I was selected to play state hockey, something I was better at then Aussie rules, I was more of a brute in Aussie rules, plus I started it later at 13 years rather then 7 or 9 years. In Hockey with a corner 9 times out of 10 I’d either beat the shooter to the ball or tackled him, ran off with the ball, nothing so uplifting for yourself and team, and demoralising for the opponent, when you reverse a corner and score a goal. Did that a lot.

• Craig says:

I should say it was indoor hockey, that I was selected from, there was no off side rule in indoor to begin with either, glad they changed that in field, corners are a very short distance compared to field hockey. Indoor is very good for ball skills.

• @Craig
        When I say hockey, I mean this:

As far as my night vision, maybe it does adjust faster than other people, but I notice that my other senses perk up- hearing, smell, touch, even taste, and then there is a bit of a sixth sense going on, even though I don’t understand it. Playing music for many years, I am aurally inclined anyway, but playing FPS games also relied on listening out for audio clues.

Another part of it, of course, is that I’m naturally a bit of a night owl. I always used to go out at night, whether a simple walk , bike ride, or run for cardio, or more unsavory activities. Practical, as most people tend to sleep, so fewer prying eyes, but with my inclinations, it gave me an edge when I did have to scoot, even for something as trivial as not getting my buzz killed by talking to the cops.

Just as an aside, I visited my hometown a few years ago. They let the bike paths get overgrown and otherwise go to shit, and my first thought was, “no wonder the kidz are fucked up!” We grew up on those paths. Every meaningful teenage moment happened on those paths. There used to be a bridge where at least twenty people i knew, plus myself, gave up their virginity. All that history, gone. All the potential future, gone.

• Craig says:

@BTR Ahh ice hockey had a feeling it may be, not enough ice down here. Either way reads like we have some similarities.

4. Sam says:

“…Adults go through life with very little movement, and the movement we do is very stiff and repetitive…”
    I’ve thought about this before. The old timers had a shorter average life span but that was only the average. If you didn’t get sick and die they seemed to live a long time and to be strong and healthy. Their diet wasn’t that good really. The prospectors at wheat and stored beef. The main difference was they worked constantly. I have this idea, that you brought up, that the limited range of motion and lack of effort is killing us. The lymphatic system removes waste from the body and believe it works by movement. No movement stops the pumps that pump out the waste/toxins your body wants out. Just an idea.

5. ConantheContrarian says:

I recommend that readers look into Systema.

6. Attila says:

Anyone who has ever studied Russian knows it’s a sprawling and nuanced language- so it’s not surprising they stress training. Learning Russian is a wonderful neuro-workout (alphabet, pronunciation, complex grammar). Your key to Eurasian culture (along with Turkic). Gotta love those consonant clusters (3 and 4 one right after the other).

7. MOISHE says:

meditation helps with mental clarity – you can almost read minds when you excel at it:)

8. HerewardMW says:

“This hobby has made me discover a new (or old) form of exercise; swinging the arms, one side at a time, using hip twisting force.”

Look up Indian Clubs!

I don’t care to belong to any Club that will have me as a member”
    —groucho marx [joo]

10. You’d be very interested in cerebellar processing, it makes those reactions possible beneath conscious awareness.