MILFORD, Mass. — Everyone has a slightly different version of what happened on that late-summer evening in Milford in 2011, but the gruesome details are consistent.
Police say Nicolas Guaman, an undocumented immigrant from Ecuador, was driving drunk with his son in the car when, near the corner of Fayette and Congress, he hit and killed 23-year-old Matthew Denice, a recent college graduate who was riding his motorcycle home.
It was the kind of summer evening when folks were out barbecuing on the lawn, and there were plenty of witnesses.
It’s unclear how many times Denice was struck, but it’s clear Guaman never bothered to stop and check. He drove off from the scene.
The accident’s aftershocks still reverberate in Milford, a small MetroWest town with a population just under 28,000. It’s also overwhelmingly white, according to the latest census data. Slowly though, Latinos have been chipping away at that majority.
“Anybody in this town is getting undercut by illegal aliens so bad it’s hard to make a living anymore,” Jack Strapponi said at a tattoo parlor on the main strip in town, getting a blue flower fixed on his arm.
Most of the other businesses on the street are Latino restaurants, storefront churches or hair salons.
Strapponi says illegal immigrants are changing the flavor of the city. They wear their soccer cleats in the park and mess up the lawn.
“I’m 53 years old and I lived in this town pretty much my whole entire life,” Strapponi explained. “I’m Italian and my great grandparents were immigrants, but they came over here legally. They learned how to speak English.”
Strapponi says the town started to change as soon as all the Ecuadorians moved in — though it’s not clear when that shift began and how many Ecuadorians call Milford home these days.
“I know that sounds racist, but it’s not,” Strapponi said. “It’s like they just took up all the jobs.”
He says the accident that killed Matthew Denice struck a raw nerve.
“There’s been such an influx of illegal aliens in this town, you know, people are finally just fed up,” he said.
A Preventable Tragedy
But, for Maureen Maloney, Matthew Denice’s mother, her son’s death is a consequence of lax immigration enforcement.
Guaman was an undocumented immigrant who had previously been arrested for breaking and entering. And if he had been deported when he was arrested the first time back in 2008, her son might still be alive.
“Nothing is going to bring Matthew back. We are just hoping to get Gauman the longest sentence we can get for him and then after he serves his jail time here that he be deported,” she said.
But for Maloney, justice means more than punishment for Guaman.
“I think if we just get back to the basics and enforce the laws that we currently have here and secure our borders, that would do a lot to solve the problem,” she said.
Maloney has become an outspoken critic of illegal immigration and strongly opposes a bill in the State House that would give undocumented immigrants the right to apply for a driver’s licenses.
“I don’t want anyone else to ever have to go through this. I just want to raise public awareness, that’s the most important thing for me right now, is preventing another tragedy like this from happening,” Maloney said.
Jessica Vaughan, with the Center for Immigration Studies, says Denice’s death was a “preventable tragedy.”
“There has been a tendency sometimes for groups that are opposed to immigration enforcement to whitewash what can happen when people who are here illegally and causing problems in the community are allowed to slip between the cracks,” Vaughan said.
The accident has become fodder for policy debates around illegal immigration, which worries Frank Soults, the spokesman for the Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition.
“I think it’s very unfortunate that this trial is happening at the time that it’s happening because I think it can inflame some irrational sentiment,” Soults said.
His group has been pushing for a bill that would allow undocumented immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses, and the bill needs to get out of committee by May 15.
“We can’t look at what ifs, we have to deal with the reality, and the reality is these immigrants are here and we have to be trying to deal with the problem of how to make life safer for everybody, and that’s what driver’s licenses would unquestionably do,” Soults said.
Matthew Denice’s mother disagrees. Her son’s trial, which is expected to last five days, has become a rallying cry for a bigger crusade against driver’s licenses for the undocumented.
Featured Video “Australian Death Machine; Come with me if you want to live”
- July 2017
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- The Group Alpha Male July 6, 2017Modern society deprives many of it’s members the innate human need to be part of a group or a tribe. This is particularly a problem for European Americans, as we allow ourselves to be moved around and separated from our … Continue reading →mindweapon
- Taking time off to write a book August 11, 2014My dear readers and commenters, I think it’s time to take a break from blogging and write a book. The blog will stay up and comments will still be monitored. Edit: For people still coming to this blog, I offer … Continue reading →mindweapon
- US analysts conclude MH17 downed by aircraft August 9, 2014Originally posted on Follow The Money: http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/08/07/374410/fighter-jet-shot-down-mh17-us-experts/ Intelligence analysts in the United States had already concluded that Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 was shot down by an air-to-air missile and that the Ukrainian government had something to do with it. This…mindweapon
- Welcome Norwich Bulletin readers; this pro-white blog is answering the call by Eric Holder to not be cowards and have a conversation about race August 8, 2014If you’ve come to this blog from this Norwich Bulletin article, I welcome you, new reader, and hope you’ll join in the conversation, whether you support, oppose, or fence sit. And if you don’t feel like commenting, I think you’ll … Continue reading →mindweapon
- Mindweapon and family get outed by One Peoples Project August 7, 2014PROMINENT NEO-NAZI’S WIFE RUNNING FOR A JUDGESHIP IN CONNECTICUT So I’m “prominent” and a “neo-Nazi?” I don’t know that I’m prominent, and the neo-Nazis are the ones genociding my wife’s people in Eastern Ukraine, funded by the USA government to … Continue reading →mindweapon
- Book: Spycraft Manual August 6, 2014Originally posted on Philosophies of a Disenchanted Scholar: http://en.bookfi.org/book/1390277mindweapon
- Buddhist Meditation is how you become a Terminator; the US military uses meditation to reduce psychological distress of soldiers August 6, 2014When I read that the US military uses meditation to reduce PTSD and make it’s soldiers into more cold blooded killers, I made the connection between the Terminator Consciousness and Buddhist Meditation. I always thought it odd that I was … Continue reading →mindweapon
- The Statistics Do Not Lie! Welfare Is the Best Paying Entry Level Job In 35 States! August 5, 2014In short, for most industrious Americans, it no longer pays to go to work. This system is catapulting our country towards an economic Armageddon. Welfare pays and pays well, until the government turns off the faucet. Then we will have … Continue reading →mindweapon
- It’s happening: GMO corn no longer resists insects August 4, 2014GMO Epic Fail, Monsanto Fail, Syngenta Fail, Dow and Dupont Fail! Nevermind the safety issue — GMO isn’t even delivering on it’s much hyped promises. Oooh, gotta protect our patent on our great, non-working Bt corn!mindweapon
- Antifa are apparently a bunch of heroin addicts; Vice Documentary trailer August 3, 2014These guys and gals will definitely starve in any kind of societal hiccup. They are totally dependent on the very civilization they hate and oppose so much. They are also vulnerable to a WN who goes into smack dealing. Imagine … Continue reading →mindweapon
- The Group Alpha Male July 6, 2017
hardscrabble farmer on The Group Alpha Male Starets on The Group Alpha Male Trainspotter on The Group Alpha Male Ryu on The Group Alpha Male countenance on The Group Alpha Male Wally on Spiritual Sickness should be v… Wally on Taking time off to write a… cognitiveberserker on Taking time off to write a… TabuLaRaza on Taking time off to write a… GenYES on Taking time off to write a… 2014 En Review // Wh… on Toby McCasker writes confused… Shamas on The Problem with Christianity;… Adastra on Taking time off to write a… Speed Seduction Nlp… on Reposted from RooshV: open let… Startuphelper on What we can learn from the Ara…